Monday, October 22, 2007

A Great Snack

Granola is such a great snack! I love eating it in cereal, on top of yogurt or even on the go. I have been searching for a good granola recipe for quite a while...but I finally found one that I really enjoy. This recipe uses only a little bit of fat and sugar to make the oats crispy; the rest of the ingredients that you add could make the the sugar and fat content high but if you choose the right ingredients this can be a jammed packed snack loaded with lots of nutrients and energy.


 

The recipe I used is from Company's Coming "Kids Do Snacks" I did change the recipe so here is my altered version.

1/4 cup Margarine
1/3 cup Brown Sugar

3 cups rolled oats
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp cinnamon

1/2 cup nuts (sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, peanuts, slivered almonds)
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup dried fruit (banana chips, dried apricot)
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup chocolate chips ( or any other chocolate candy)


1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease a baking sheet with cooking spray. Set aside. Place margarine and brown sugar in a sauce pan on medium heat. Heat and stir until melted and smooth; remove from heat.

2. Stir in the oats, vanilla and cinnamon until coated. Spoon oat mixture onto baking sheet and spread evenly. Bake for 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally, until golden. Wait 30 minutes for oats of cool down before transferring to a bowl.

3. Add remaining ingredients and toss together. Store granola in air tight container.


~ You can be as creative as you wish with this recipe. Check out your local bulk barn to get great deals on dried fruit, nuts and seeds to add to your mix. If you children are not allowed to take nuts to school just substitute the 1/2 cup of nuts for more dried fruit.

2 comments:

Donna said...

Hey...I love homemade granola....I think I have my recipe for it on my blog if you wanna take a look. I make it on the stove top in a cast iron skillet with little or no fat at all! Thought U might like to try it sometime.

You have BUNCHES of goodies on here that I hope to try soon.

I try to feed my crew healthy as much as possible. Got 6 kiddy-winkies!
-Donna-

Lynn said...

I love to make granola.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...