Friday, September 5, 2008

Frugal Friday

I have always been making my own cards since the first time I went to buy my mom a mothers day card and saw the price on the back. Knowing that in a couple of months that card would be tucked away some where's, like in the bottom of the garbage, I decide to make my own. I must say that I have a long way from the folded over construction paper and crayons in my creativity. One way I have found to recycle cards that you receive is to cut out the images or saying and use them for your own cards. This is one that I just made recently for a wedding.

Front
Inside top


I also love to make my own gifts to give people. From home baked goodies to cookies, brownies or soup mixes in a jar or even tissue paper wrapped bag of solider beans I like to give people things I know they love. Even sprucing up gifts makes them look so much more attractive. I got this idea from a friend at a baby shower I went to and decided to make one for my cousins baby shower. This is a pack of diapers formed into a diaper cake. Each diaper is rolled up and tied together with a mini hair elastic. Then you shape it like a cake, put some ribbon around each layer and place little gifts into the ribbon. Since this was for a little gal you could put baby hair stuff, mini books, teethers, soothers or whatever you would like.

My friend used this gift as a baby shower game and had each women write their name and a number of how many diapers they thought were in the cake. The woman who was the closet won a little prize.




Recently I have decided that before I have any more children I would like to learn how to do two things. The first is knitting. I am always seeing pretty little dish cloths at the farmers maker and craft sales and thinking...those would be a great gift. So with the help of 3 great teachers I have now knit 2 dish cloths and I am on the 3rd. This is a picture of my first one which I decided to keep because there are a lot of mistakes in your first project. My second goal is sewing...but I haven't started that one yet.




For more frugal ideas visit Biblical Woman Hood.


8 comments:

Bird Stalker Photography said...

Love your ideas! I love handmade gifts. I would love to learn how to make the knitted dishclothes they are really nice! I have so many hobbies now I need another like I need another hole in my head!

Brooke said...

i love your cards! :) much nicer than anything you could buy. i'm a sewer, but my machine has been boxed up for over a year now. i can't wait to get it out and start working on it.

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Beautiful cards and gifts! Homemade is so much more thoughtful I think. :D

Mrs. Stam said...

Love the knitting!!! and sewing isn't that difficult you'll be a pro soon!!!!

Unknown said...

You have made some lovely cards and gifts. All gifts are blessings, but a homemade gift or card always holds an even more special place in my heart.

Miranda said...

Homemade gifts are so wonderful! Stick with your goal to learn how to sew... once you learn how to knit and sew the options for homemade gifts are limitless!

Audra Krell said...

What fun and great ideas! I love the soup idea...thanks for sharing. You are adorable with your knitted clothes by the way!

Geniève said...

Woohoo Katie! Way to go on the knitting... I totally want to learn how to make those dish cloths too. I can knit a scarf... now on to something else :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...