Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Sloppy Joes, Slop Sloppy Joes



Believe it or not but you can actually make your own great tasting sloppy joes. As a kid I always thought that a sloppy joe was made by combining a big can of Manwich with some ground beef. After becoming a wife I have found out that you can make your own sloppy joe sauce that taste even better.

Sloppy Joes

1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup BBQ sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup vinegar
2 Tbsp Mustard
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp pepper

Preparation: Fry ground beef with onions and garlic; drain fat. Combine all sloppy joe ingredients together and pour sauce over hamburger mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for20 minutes. Serve warm over hamburger buns.

This recipe is great for making up large batchs and freezing.



For more great kitchen tips head on over to Tammy's Kitchen were you are sure to find lots of wonderful recipes!

5 comments:

Kirstin said...

I did this a few weeks ago and it was sooo good. I didn't use BBQ sauce, but my other ingredients were almost identical to yours..

mub said...

I love homemade sloppy joes!

Marianna said...

Thanks for the recipe. I am happy to find one since I just read that the canned stuff has mercury in it (through the high fructose corn syrup).

~ Rebecca ~ said...

I LOVE YOU KATIE!!!

Everytime I get to your blog something else surprises and delights me!

R.

Jay Logelin said...

Epic epic epic Win. I am bachin' it tonite with the kids and tried my own variation on this recipe. The kids never had sloppy joes before, and they LOVED these. I made this recipe my own by replacing brown sugar with 2 parts Maple Syrup and one part Porter beer and of course replaced the meat with a tofu replacement and blended chick peas. We will definitely be adding this to our recipe rolodex. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...