I can not believe that it has taken me this long to get on the Kale chip bandwagon. I guess every time I pass by it in our local grocery store I think oh its sooo expensive ($3.00 or more/bunch) to "try" to make chips...what if I burn them or we don't like them. I have passed by this super food many times due to price but not last week. I saw the sign that I had been waiting for $1.97/bunch. I can handle that and so this Kale made its way to the Peterson house.
I did some looking online before I baked up these prefect chips that hubby, myself and 2/4 children ate up. So here is my super simple Kale Chip recipe that will become a staple now in our house.
- Preheat oven to 425
- Tare the Kale off the stems, wash and spin dry in lettuce spinner
- Use a paper towel or cloth to make sure they are good and dry
- Lay Kale on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper
- Coat in Olive oil, sprinkle with salt and you can add some garlic salt to if you want.
- Put into the oven
- TURN OFF OVEN and set timer for 20 minutes (this is the genius step!! I don't want them to burn so this is the KEY step for making the prefect chips)
- When timer goes off you can take them out and enjoy!
From the big bunch of Kale I bought I made 3 batches of chips from it :) The first batch I sprinkled the still warm chips with parmesan cheese and the other two batches I made for lunches so I just left them salted.
If you find the chips aren't crispy enough for you after the 20 minutes and you aren't in a hurry to eat them you can flip them over and leave them in the warm oven to dry out a little more. I haven't had this problem but I did read that in my search for the prefect chips.
Hope you enjoy your chips as much as this little guy did :)