This week I was signed up to bring the "healthy snack" to our moms club. Even being a dietitian I still am unsure what "healthy snack" is. So I put my creative mind to work and came up with a little twist on one of our favorite treats.
Cinnamon sugar tortilla crisp are a big hit around here in the summer time. We really love them dipped in strawberry salsa, flavored cream cheese or just by themselves. I also like making different flavors, such as spicy, to go with our Mexican dishes or Parmesan to dip in soups. But this valentines day here is a "healthy snack" you can send with the kids for their school party, take to work or serve the family at home.
Homemade Cinnamon hearts
Cinnamon sugar mixture
red sugar (optional)
Heart shaped cookie cutter
1. Cut out heart shapes from the tortillas.
2. Melt butter and brush onto hearts
3. Combine 1/4 cup of sugar with 1-2 tsp cinnamon (for these I wanted them to have the same hot cinnamon flavor as the little candy's so I added more cinnamon)
4. Sprinkle mixture over hearts
5. Bake at 350 for 4-5 minutes or just until brown
~ Enjoy them with a dip or by themselves.
Jump on over to Shannon's site for my great ideas.