Friday, May 15, 2009

End of Season Sale

Last year the babe was too little to wear sun screen or even be out in the sun for that matter so I didn't really have to dish out too much money. This year however is a different story as he wants to be outside all the time. And with lots of cancer risk sunscreen, big hats and light weight long shirts are the best for these hot summer days. However even in all the summer "bubble wrap" there are still areas of skin exposed that need this lovely stuff.

One trick that I am so thankful I did was during the end of the summer I pick a a bunch of sunscreen that was marked down. I happen to stumble on great brand names such as Aveno baby sunscreen marked down to $2.00 a jug , it was orignally priced over $15!!! I also got some sunscreen sticks which are great for the face and ears. Already I have placed two different kinds into a plastic bag (on that some Robeez came in) and have them in the diaper bag!

Now I know for the end of this summer that I will be LOOKING around for summer deals! One mom told me that right now is the time she is looking for winter stuff at our local thrift stores such as boots, hats, ski pants and of course ugly Christmas sweaters!!!

What other things you do guys get out of season I mean besides all the marked down holiday stuff for the years to come!

For more frugal ideas head on over to life as mom

8 comments:

Aisling said...

We don't use traditional sunscreen we use a product that kind of bonds with yoru skin and you only have to apply once a day. It's more pricey than the otehrs by a LONG way but only having to apply it once a day saves us so much we don't even get through a small bottle all summer.

Stacey said...

When buying sunscreen, a great place to look for safety information is Skin Deep. They list all skin care products by safety, and let you know which ingredients are harmful.

http://cosmeticsdatabase.com (I think that's right. Maybe google it)

Another thing to note though, about sunscreen, is that most are good for only one year, and need to be tossed at the end of the season, which is why stores clear them out. They loose their sun protection ability after a while.

Micah and Katie said...

Thanks for the comments and safety concerns. I know from talking with a pharmacist last summer which ingredients I am suppose to look for when buying sun screen for my little one. The dates are good but thanks for reminding me to check that out!

lizzykristine said...

We buy just about everything but groceries "out of season." We just moved out of stocking up for the coming winter, and in a couple months all the summer clothes will go on clearance for next summer!

Hmmmm.... I'm not very fussed about expiration dates. My understanding is that most items are given a very conservative expiration date to protect the manufacturer from lawsuits -- they're not going to cut it down to the wire on expiration dates and liability issues. Plus, it just means you have to buy stuff more often, which is good for them. ;) So I don't have qualms about using things a little past their date, but of course I do so at my own risk....

Stephen & Maria Weyman said...

I burn very easily and I've used expired sunscreen many many times and it always either prevents a burn or minimizes it in those rare cases that I am in the sun for hours and hours on end.

I know it works because I'll burn in 15 minutes flat if I don't have it on.

Greg and Donna said...

To avoid using expired sunscreen, date the bottom of the bottle with a Sharpie permanent marker. Summer 2009 would be good...sunscreen expires 2 years from when it is first opened.

Frugal Sara said...

Last year I stocked up on Lil Swimmers for my kiddos. I got them really cheap and got the next size bigger so they will fit them this summer!

I also stocked up on bug spray at the end of last summer.

Kitchen Stewardship said...

Great ideas! I'm considering trying coconut oil as sunscreen this summer, so I won't be buying very much anyway, but I love watching end of season sales for everything I can!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...