Thursday, August 21, 2008

Organizing the freezer

As you all know I have been slowly trying to utilizes the space in our house better by becoming more organized. I find it helps keep me (or should I say hubby) be stress free when everything has a place and not just thrown in a pile. Today I introduce you to my new freezer. *note this is the freezer over my fridge not the deep freeze...I haven't braved that project yet*. This project to me was a brilliant idea and I just love how organized it has stayed and how easy it is to find things for both hubby and I (oh and the two teenage boys we had babysit for us last week).



The idea to organize the freezer into basket sections came when I started making baby food. It was so cluttered that I couldn't find anything and when I did it was so covered in freezer burn you could hardly make out what it was. And you all know I didn't want to come home finding hubby feeding the baby the wrong thing!!

So I headed down to the local dollar store and stocked up on these wonderful bins. I placed them in the freezer and made categories for each of them.


This top blue bin is filled with meats. Mostly portioned pizza meat, hot dogs and cheese so its what hubby and I call the pizza bin. The bottom green one has left overs or portioned out sub sauce, pizza sauce, tomato paste and crushed tomatoes. The big cool whip container is not the yummy whip topping you think it is but its actually gravy. This bucket comes in handy for days when you just need to make home made poutine.


The other bins house our veggies, fruit and of course baby food. And like always there is some miscellaneous stuff is on the top shelf. My baking supplies such as chocolate chips, nuts, butter milk and liquid egg are kept on the freezer door.


So let me know how you keep these spaces organized. I know my friend Niki did a great post on her organized fridge.

For more tips on how to be Frugal check out Biblical Womanhood

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Katie, this is awesome. You should link this Friday on Biblical womanhood. Another thing I thought of with your spices, keep your eyes peeled (I will too) for a lazy susan. They are great to put those jars on and they rotate in your cupboard. I love the use of those baby jars, if I didn't spend so much money in my plastic ones I would do that. I love the idea of glass more than plastic. Great Job.

Mrs. Stam said...

Looking good! Great job!!!

Geniève said...

Wow Katie! That looks so great... I love the colored bins idea. I should definitely try this :) thanks

Mom2fur said...

I love the idea of organzing a freezer with baskets. I'm going to have to figure out how to do this with my little chest freezer. Maybe, if I knew all my chicken was stored in a pink basket, I wouldn't have to spend 10 minutes 'digging' for it, LOL! Thanks for a great idea!

Micah and Katie said...

It's awesome bbe, I love how I can easily get at the i-cubes! Definitely less stressed now : ) Micah

Kate said...

What a fantastic idea! My freezer would really benefit from a system like this, as would I. We do not have a deep freeze but I still freezer cook as much as possible so my freezer is usually jam-packed and small things seem to get lost in the shuffle. This would be perfect. Thanks so much for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...