Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I'm 2 for 2

Before Christmas I posted on how I had made a delicious recipe of honey baked lentils for friends of mine who just had a baby. Hubby and I enjoyed it and so did our friends. So with some new recipes in my google docs I decided to give another recipe a try. I am really enjoying Erin over at $5 dollar dinners. I am working on a Canadian or should I say maritime version to see how many of meals are under $5 bucks.

So last night I whipped together some BBQ lentils. OH boys were they delicious. We are really loving lentils so now I am 2 for 2! All I did was follow the cooking instructions on the green lentil bag, added some minced onion, garlic, BBQ sauce and brown sugar. I served it over rice with some frozen veggies. * Picture is from $5 dinner site.


Hubby gave the meal a 4/5... it didn't get 5 because there was no meat in it! heheh....Even the little guy ate it up. Lentils are such a wondeful food filled with lots of nutrients. Canada's food guide recommends that we consume lentils, beans and tofu often. One of our goals as a family this year is to eat proper portions and to consume 2-3 meals each week that have just beans and lentils. This will help our bodies and our grocery bill!!!

3 comments:

Sandra said...

I am definately going to try this. This is one of my goals this year as well, to eat more meals with no meat, smaller portions and learn to cook lentils. I will start with this one. Thanks for posting it.

Sandra said...

We tried them last night. Mine were the brown ones. We ate them and they tasted like beans. They are not something we would request for a meal but they were not hard to eat either. My youngest said they looked like ticks!! I am going to try some of the other lentils and the other recipe you had. At least this recipe got me going. Thanks.

Unknown said...

you are giving me the incentive to try again. It is not the taste it is the texture, it is something we have to get used to.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...