Wednesday, January 28, 2009

falafels


Here is it readers one of my new favorite crock pot recipes. I have heard so many people say to me I have a crock pot but I just don't use it. WELL now is the time to get that baby out of the box and put it to good use. There are lots of recipes out there for great meals that can be made in the crock pot. I am sure that many of you know the site 365 days of crockpotting. The wonderful crock pot chef Stephanie decided to use her crock pot everyday last year and post each recipe. She has finished her little one year challenge and is working on her own cook book from it. If you need some recipes to start your crock pot adventures check out her list of recipes here.

I have enjoyed the recipes I have tried from her site and when I saw this Falafel recipe I knew that I had to try them. So last week I meal planned it, made pitas and bought the ingredients for it. I was a little unsure about them when I started but the recipe was super easy to follow and in 3 hours they were done!

They turned out nice and brown and some even got really crispy. I think that next time I will have to cook mine for less because 3 hours was a little much and some were dry. I think that the next time I made them I will roll them in sesame seeds before I place them into the crock pot.

We put ours on homemade pitas that had been smothered in Tzatziki sauce (that I purchased on sale) and topped with spinach, green peppers and red peppers.

Here is my brave (and very hansom) husband getting ready to take the first bite! hehe We both enjoyed them and thought they were a very good meal. I did try to make some couscous to go with our meal but it was very bland!! If any readers has some yummy couscous recipes please share them with me!

For more fun works for me head on over to rocks in my dryer.

3 comments:

pinkcamojeep said...

The key to couscous is to add stuff and use broth instead of water. You can cook spinach, mushrooms, onions, small bits of chicken or steak, garden peas, peas & carrots or a host of other veggies. Saute' them and throw them in the pot with broth and you'll love your couscous. yum.

Stephanie ODea said...

yay! I'm so glad that these worked for you!
double yay for cute and supportive hubbies. :-)
xoxo
steph

Unknown said...

I too use broth when cooking my couscous - it makes all the difference. Along with pinkcamojeep's suggestions we often add cherry tomatos to ours (sliced in half) and some herbs, drizzled with some EVOO and mixed through.

I also love doing couscous with any meat dish that has a sauce on it. It's awesome for soaking up sauce and blending the flavours of the meals together w/out being overtaken by it. One of our faves is couscous with Salsa Chicken.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...