Sunday, January 16, 2011

Red Lentil Soup


Last night we attended an international pot luck so I thought since we loved the BBQ lentils so much that I would double the recipe and take them. My doubling lentils attempt failed and I was left with a pot of mushy looking red lentils and I quickly remembered a recipe my dear friend Mel gave me so it quickly turned into red lentil soup.

This is a fast and delicious recipes. As we were finishing up the last of this today for lunch hubby said..."this is so good I would buy it at a restaurant"


Red Lentil soup
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 cup dry red lentils
1 cup butternut squash - peeled, seeded, and cubed
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
2 cups veggie stock or water
1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1 pinch ground nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
cilantro for garnish

Directions

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat, and cook the onion, ginger, garlic, until onion is tender.
Mix the lentils, squash, and cilantro into the pot. Stir in the stock, coconut milk, and tomato paste. Season with curry powder, cumin,cayenne pepper, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes, or until lentils and squash are tender.

Garnish with cilantro and enjoy.


3 comments:

Kristen said...

Thanks for the recipe Kate, I'm bookmarking it :o)

mwb said...

Glad you liked it Katie! My hubby says the same thing when I make it. It remains the one and only lentil dish that he'll eat with gusto!

Rose said...

Hi Kate

I am a very healthy eater, but i am bored with eating the same things, I seen your blog, and i copied your lental soup.

can't wait to try it.

Rose

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...