Sunday, January 29, 2012

Valentines pop tarts


I always enjoy baking with the kids so the other day when we were snowed in Eben and I went through my sweet treat board on pinterest and he decided he wanted to make home made pop tarts from bake me more blog.   

photo from bake me more blog 

The recipe was easy to follow but it is more complicated to do with little hands that wanted to help and of corse eat.   Here are my alterations to the recipe but for the original recipe or even how to make them with pre-made pie crust go here.   

Homemade Strawberry Pop Tarts
Ingredients:
  • Pie crust  (recipe below)
  • Strawberry and blueberry Jam
  • Icing sugar thinned with milk
  • Sparkling Sugar  

Ingredients:
  • 1-1/2 cups sifted flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup shortening
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 3 tablespoons cold water
Directions:

Combine flour and salt in bowl. Add shortening and butter and blend with fork, pastry cutter or your fingers until mixture is fairly coarse. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, gently mixing dough after each addition until dough forms a ball. Place dough on a lightly floured surface and roll into a square/rectangle. Using a heart shaped cookie cutter cut out shapes and repeat until you have no more dough. 

 Take one pie crust heart, fill with a 1/2 tsp of jam. Cover with another piece of pie crust and crimp edges. Bake at 450F for abou7-8 minutes or until slightly brown. Set aside to cool. Once cooled, pour glaze on to Pop-tart and decorate with sparkling sugar.


To Make the Glaze:
  • 1 cup powder sugar
  • milk to thin
Place powdered sugar in bowl. Pour milk slowly until it has a consistency of really thick syrup.







Some things to note.  These were very yummy but next time they aren't a project to make with little helpers.  I will stick to things like muffins, banana bread and cookies for when the kids are helping me. They were very good but it was pretty stressful trying to roll out pie crust when they just wanted to cut shapes and Lady J just wanted to eat it.  So I will save these kinds of treats for nap time.  I think they would be great to make in advance, freeze and bake in the morning.  

For more creative ideas jump on over to I heart nap time and check out what others are making this week. 

Also check out Chrished Bliss 
Cherished Bliss

4 comments:

Melanie said...

Awesome, Katie! I'm going to make some of these one of these days!!
Mel

Chrissy said...

These are adorable!! Love them!!

Carla at Preschool Powol Packets said...

Oh, these look wonderful! I'm sharing this on my Sharing Saturday post today!

Hani said...

So delicious and cute too.. Thanks for linking up!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...